Thursday, August 30, 2012

Digital Nativism


    Although Marc Prensky's notion of Digital Nativism is a little heavy, and starts at a random year, I find much truth in his claim. For the most part, the younger generation (born post 1982) grew up using technology, and the older generations have had to adapt to it. I consider myself a digital native, and since I'm unsure whether or not I plan on working with older or younger patients, I feel that it wouldn't be too difficult for me to incorporate technology into my instruction. Speech-Language Pathology has never relied too heavily on technology, but it'd be nice to change that idea.

    I agree that this generation is much more in tuned with learning and encourages higher education, as the article states. However, it also goes into a rant about video games and their impact on children, and I just find those statistics overwhelmingly bloated. If children are only exposed to age-appropriate games, and are also being properly educated, it just doesn't seem logical to blame behavioral problems on a video game. In my opinion, proper discipline will help eliminate negative behaviors from a child. Technology shouldn't be used as a crutch here.

    McKenzie's article has many interesting points; I mentioned some in the prior paragraph in this post. I honestly do not feel like his point can be argued as negative or positive. Personally,  think that technology does more good than harm, but I may be biased, being a "digital native" myself. Technology can be incorporated into any classroom, but I think it depends on the environment of the room as to whether or not a teacher or instructor chooses to include it. My field may limit me when incorporating technology, as I know at one point I will be working with stroke victims, and most of them will be digital immigrants.

Class of 2025 Mindset:

1. Michael Jackson's music will be considered as part of the "classics".
2. They will not remember cars with key-start ignitions.
3. They will have never seen gas prices under $2.00.
4. Film will have never been used in their movie theatres.
5. They likely will have never seen a flip phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment