Thursday, August 30, 2012

Creating a Learning Environment



Although it is not a classroom, I consider the environment of my SLP Office very important. I haven't decided if I want to work primarily with adults or children, so I designed a room that I thought could accommodate the needs of a wide range of patients. I made sure to have plenty of storage for activities, games, or any paperwork I may have to file. Young children often need manipulatives incorporated into their lesson so that they will stay focused, and I wanted to make sure I have great access to these items. I also felt that the aquarium could be particularly useful for younger children; I could help them learn to pronounce the species names of the fish. However, I have made sure that it is on wheels, so that if it becomes a distraction it can be easily removed. 

I put in a rug in place for children who prefer sitting on the floor. This way, we'd have a nice, contained space to work and play in. It's also located right near the door, making the room seem comforting and homey. I have my own desk for filing purposes, and I have a desk for worksheets and board games to be played on. I know a lot of students will want to sit on the floor, but sometimes a desk helps them focus more.

I included the couch mainly for my older patients, thinking it might help them feel more comfortable, since most older SLP students are often nervous coming in for therapy. This way, it would seem that we are on the same level together, and that no one is superior. If they'd rather, we could use the desk, but I would always initially gesture towards the couch, encouraging them to relax. 

No comments:

Post a Comment